Thursday, June 25, 2009

Run Like A Vagabond

"Let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!" - Amos 5:24

journal entry, June 24
"...There is so much to this city that could not be seen or observed in one or even two weeks here. Going into the middle of our fourth week in Athens, I am humbled and overwhelmed to think what ten or twenty years in ministry here would reveal. It would be impossible for the average passer-by to discern that the young girl a few feet away from me waiting to cross the street is a prostitute had you not been to New Life earlier this morning and taken her tea and coffee. Too young to work in the brothels, she works illegally on the streets instead. Wearing white pants and a green shirt, her long, thick hair pulled back, she looks like any other young girl walking around the city. She couldn't be any older than sixteen. I wanted to kidnap her as well and just run far, far away with all of them. But to where? And from what? Sin and darkness envelop every corner of this world and infest the human heart. Only Your light brings Truth and Salvation and Freedom. I am so limited in what I can see from my finite vantage point - I can't even begin to imagine what You are doing or the great ways in which You are working for our good and for You glory. And yet, You give me these glimpses here and there of beauty and hope and encouragement to press on. The message of your Gospel is the most worthwhile gift to relay and spread, and to invest myself in. Teach me how to wear it on my face and weave it throughout my speech. Teach me adequate transparency that points only to You. Help me to "preach the gospel, not with words of human wisdom, lest [Your] cross be emptied of its power." You have already redeemed. You paid the debt. It's already been done. I don't have to be anyone's Savior, which is such a relief because I can't. You are the Savior. You alone. We are Yours."

Last night was our sixth night to hang out with the refugee and immigrant children, and it was noticeably different. They are finally beginning to trust us and recognize our consistency with them. For the first time ever, several of them ran up and hugged me, remembered my name (in Greek, Rachel is "Rahilli" - spelling?), and a few even picked me flowers. Also, the night was very conversational! For the first time since being here, I was able to communicate in complete sentences and understand more of the questions and responses. I loved it! We have learned and memorized at least 43 words and phrases in Greek, but the weird thing is that I haven't seen any of them written down - it's all been learned verbally rather than visually, so that's definitely been interesting and different. I'm really excited about the relationships we're building with these kids and their families and the opportunity for them to hear about First Church and have connections there once we have to leave.

Yesterday we also got to go grocery shopping and decorate and clean for the party that we're having tonight for three Nigerian girls that are graduating from the New Life program. One has completely rejected the life of prostitution, and the other two are still back-and-forth with it. They are bringing their friends to the party and I think it will be alot of fun. Apparently they love to dance so naturally I'm really excited about that :) Please pray for an amazing time of fellowship, and a time of love and hope. Pray that the Lord would bring them completely out of prostitution and graft them into freedom and life in Him. Pray that they would thrive and learn and grow, that the Lord would show them their beauty, tell them truth, and rip out lies - that He would become everything to them.

Our team is going through 1 Corinthians with Ron, which has lent itself to some really good discussions. Because of the unpredictability of schedules here, I'm having to learn to fight daily for time with the Lord instead of just having a more consistent agenda. That's life though, and the lack of discretionary time is revealing to me where my true priorities lie. Being around people 24/7 has tested my patience as well as my unselfishness, as I'm learning to surrender 'entitlements' even in the small things.

journal -
"You mold me and change me and break and fix and grow and establish and refine me - You are the potter, molding as you see fit (Jeremiah 18:1-7). Here my issues of trust and control are overturned in uncomfortable helplessness. Thank you for your infinite patience - this grace that defines You, around which I can't wrap even a corner of my mind. You are strong and loving. You are worth trusting. From the trivial things of everyday to the life-changing decisions, You have proven yourself faithful. I know You always will, and I'll never be able to say anything different."


So run like a vagabond, carry the flame
Run for the children and run for the slaves
Hold it up high with a message of faith
Don't ever stop moving on
Just run like a vagabond
-[Vagabond, Bethany Dillon]

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,
    I am so happy that God is letting you see some of the fruits of your labor there in Greece. What a blessing to be able to bond with some of the refugee children and celebrate with the girls who are graduating from New Life! We are praying for you daily. Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete